If you’re in charge of social media management for your company, it’s time to up your game in 2014. It requires more than the random postings about your great sale or a latest product. It’s tricky and fun for the same reason: everyone expects you to do it in a perfect manner. We all know from the past stories (” Search Social Media Bloopers” on your favorite search engine) that if your social media account is not managed well, it can turn into a disaster. But nevertheless, everyone deserves a chance to rule social media.
But then what’s different in the year 2016? Certainly new social networks are here that deserve a second thought, but it’s much more than that. Social Media Management is no longer maintaining an account on leading social networks, Online Reputation Management, Analytics etc, it is now the truest form of connection with the end customer.
Let’s take what was important for Social Media in 2014 –
- Choosing the right platform: Be it Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or whatever, you picked a social media platform and went all out on it.
- Using Analytics: The insights generated from the users/ fans of your social media pages, gave you a sense of purpose to build your company towards something. It was a welcome change from hiring product managers to sell a product, to actually creating a product that sells.
- Building Relationship: It was important before. It is important now as well. Simply because it’s the life source of social media.
- Using Images: Graphical content became a new hit in 2013-14 when Brands realized that nobody reads text anymore, they “read” images. Writing a same content in text and on an image, had more than 87% higher chances of being read, favored towards the latter.
- Making it easy to share: Not just Social media sites, blogs are always a hit since people still read them. Like this one. So it’s only natural to include ways to share your post on social media sites easily. Like this one.
So that was the recap.
Now, we will see what’s important in 2016, to rule social media.
1. Building Relationships:
Yes, it’s still relevant. Fans are like family. They can guide you, make you better or maybe even destroy you if you ignore them or take them for granted. So, treat them like one. Unless ofcourse you hate your family, then don’t treat them like one.
2. Have Fun:
Engage users through new techniques. Having fun is a great example. Let’s say you are a Fast Food Restaurant Chain, and your social media team believes posting coupons and menus on their FB account is the best way to engage people. Unfortunately, that’s not true. Don’t get me wrong, people still want coupons. But make it fun, like for example, let them earn it. Make a simple game on FB or Twitter and link it with your website. Whoever names the correct sequence of putting ingredients while making a burger wins or better yet, qualifies to the next stage. It’s not the only way, but something to think about, especially since every one is now going Anti-Fast Food.
3. Build social media into your business plan
Whether you’re a startup or a solid corporation, you should still have a business plan in place for growth. Implement social media into it and set goals for different time periods. This is how you’ll see if social media is worth it for you.
4. Use URL Shorteners
Tracking retweets and likes is no longer enough to give you sufficient data about engagement. Remember that link you included in your post to drive people back to your website? Well, when you use URL shorteners, you’re provided with a trackable URL, so you can measure the success of that social media post in driving traffic to your website.
5. Practice Hashtags but safely
You’ve probably seen people use a hashtag with every word in their Tweet, or dedicate a separate Instagram comment to include hashtags. But that doesn’t mean that’s the right way to use hashtags. Educate yourself on the do’s and don’ts of how to use hashtags in this blog post that goes over the fundamentals of hashtags.
Remember, with new social media networks coming up, it is imperative to see where your target segment lie, and therein should lie your priority.